The 2012-2013 season gets started for Old Dominion basketball on November 9 in Norfolk against Holy Cross. From that first game on, the Monarchs will attempt to keep pace with the expectations set by last season's squad. They lose 59% of last season's minutes and hope to offset that with the contributions of six incoming freshmen.
The biggest gap for Old Dominion to fill will be on the offensive side, as the team lost 70.3% of their assists. Following that is rebounding, where they also lost a big 64.2% of last year's output.
Old Dominion finished last season with an overall record of 19-12 and placed 4th in the CAA with a conference record of 13-5. The Monarchs would go on to lose to Drexel 68-51 in the CAA tournament. Old Dominion lost last year's seniors Kent Bazemore (31 minutes per game), Chris Cooper (28 MPG), Trian Iliadis (28 MPG), and Marquel De Lancey (23 MPG). The Monarchs will also have to get by without Jason Pimentel (8 MPG), Breon Key (8 MPG), Nayquann Mitchell (5 MPG), and Shquan Rogers (2 MPG), who left the team.
The Monarchs return junior Donte Hill (2.0 assists/game), senior Nick Wright (8.4 points/game), sophomore Dimitri Batten (8.0 points/game), sophomore Richard Ross (4.3 points/game), and junior Anton Larsen (1.1 points/game).
Freshmen joining the Monarchs include 6-1 Keenan Palmore, 6-5 Aaron Bacote, 6-1 Ambrose Mosley, 6-9 Ekene Anachebe, 6-3 Deion Clark, and 6-9 Stuart McEwen. Also joining the team is 6-9 senior DeShawn Painter (transferred from NC State). Old Dominion will begin their CAA campaign on December 1st at William & Mary.
Tags: Kent Bazemore
- Old Dominion has had 4 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Old Dominion has an overall winning percentage of 67.4%. The Monarchs have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 68.0%.
- The Monarchs have an average conference finish of 2.8 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 3.4.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 163.5.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Murray State (#23).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Towson (#307).
- The last time Old Dominion returned less than 38% of the team's statistical production was 1996-1997.
, Chris Cooper
, Trian Iliadis
, Marquel De Lancey
, Jason Pimentel
, Breon Key
, Nayquann Mitchell
, Shquan Rogers
, Donte Hill
, Nick Wright
, Dimitri Batten
, Richard Ross
, Anton Larsen
, Keenan Palmore
, Aaron Bacote
, Ambrose Mosley
, Ekene Anachebe
, Deion Clark
, Stuart McEwen
, DeShawn Painter